Participants: INFN Torino
The project is structured in the following lines:
- definition of test layouts through simulations and preparation of the YBCO sample devices by photolitography;
- nanostructuring of sample devices by HEHI micro-collimated irradiation;
- set-up of the FIR experimental apparatus;
- FIR characterization of substrate/YBCO system;
- characterization of the bolometric response to FIR pulses of nanostructured YBCO sample devices;
- design, production and characterization of the final demonstrator, and determination of working parameters.
The following experimental equipments will be used in this project:
1) IRRADIATION NANOSTRUCTURING FACILITIES. The HEHI lithography apparatus has been developed for the previous INFN Di.S.Co.L.I. project at Laboratori Nazionali del Sud (LNS). The facility allows a planar sub-micrometric movement of the target under a micro-collimated heavy-ion beam.
2) EXPERIMANTAL TECHNIQUES FOR THE ELECTROMAGNETIC CHARACTERIZATION OF SUPERCONDUCTING MATERIALS AND DEVICES:
- magneto-optical set-up, with the possibility to acquire images of current-biased devices (spatial resolution 0.4 μm, magnetic resolution 10 mG, working temperature 4-300 K);
- set-up for dc and ac (up to 2 MHz) electric-transport measurements (working temperature 10-300 K, in magnetic applied field up to 6T);
- microwave characterization equipment (frequency up to 40 GHz, dc magnetic field up to 6T, working temperature 4-300 K);
- set-up for dc (magnetization) and ac (susceptibility) magnetic characterization (working temperature 4-300 K, dc magnetic field 0-5 T);
- structural characterization equipments: AFM, STM and FESEM.
3) SET-UP FOR THE CHARACTERIZATION OF THE RESPONSE OF SUPERCONDUCTORS TO OPTICAL PULSES.
- cryogenic facility with optical window (working temperature 4-300 K);
- digitalizer with sampling rate of 2 Gs/s;
- several laser sources;
- optical tables.